Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hi!!!

To start off with my first post, I’d like to write a response on the book, "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. This book was an incredible historical piece about a young girl named Scout who lives with her brother Jem and her father Atticus. Their adventures together are not only gripping but very exiting! This book really got me thinking! I had so many questions! It also gave me different points of views on situations! What also got me thinking was once I got to the end, I soon discovered that the book had hints of mystery in it. To begin, wow! Just wow! Personally, I prefer to read fantasy, or poetry, or even nonfiction. But when I got my hands on, "To Kill a Mockingbird," I couldn't put it down! To summarize, it was awesome! So at beginning of the book, Scout and Jem live together with their dad. But don't mistake Scout for a girl with a big dress, oh no! She prefers overalls. Like Harper Lee, Scout's a toughie. Soon she meets Dill, a nice boy who Scout plays with. With the boys she gets into trouble. She dares Jem to touch the Radley’s house! The Radley’s house is a dark house where Boo Radley lives. He hasn't been out of that house for years and years. Many rumors about that house were made. One rumor was that he will shoot you if you even come near his house! But Jem ran as fast as he could, touched the house, and came back alive. Later in the book a black man known as Tom Robeninsen was accused of raping a girl. Atticus decides to defend the black man, but lost the case. Tom tries to escape the jail and is shot dead in the act. In the end, it turns out really Bob Ewell did it and he attacks Jem in the act of being drunk. Boo Radley ends up saving Jem and Bob Ewell is killed. What really got me thinking was the point of view on this book. Knowing a bit of background info about Harper Lee myself, I know that when she was young her dad also defended two black men on trial, but lost both cases. So is this story hinting what Harper Lee was thinking when her dad joined the court? Did it bring out different sides of him like it did in the book? I still look for an answer. But what really got me thinking is the ending. Is it happy? Is it sad? Upon further contemplation, I realized that there is no answer. But I thought that it was a happy ending. Questions were answered, the characters were happy, but in a way it’s sad. Tom was innocent and yet he was killed. Jem was hurt. But now I decided that it is a bitter-sweet ending. I also enjoyed the different points of view. I was a tomboy for a while until I wanted to relate to other girls and developed into a girly girl. Looking through Scouts eyes takes me back. And being her age in her setting with the events makes me wonder, if I was raised back then, and my papa defended a black man, would I be defending my dad? Would I be embarrassed? At that time some humans had a different point of view. Mine might have changed too. Also, I discovered later that the book showed hints of mystery. When Atticus was defending Tom, I suspected that Bob Ewell really raped the girl from how much he was defending himself. It all came together later. But now that I think about it I know that anything to do with a trial and a court is mystery. To conclude, Harper Lee’s, “To Kill a Mockingbird,” was surprising, exciting, and delightful. It put me in a good mood! I loved the narration, the characters, and the setting. Overall, I plan to do more research on Harper Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment