Wednesday, February 5, 2014

An Interesting Topic

For the past few days in ELA we have been exploring the interesting, mystical forest of poetry. (See what I did there?) I personally have always loved to do poetry. The type of poetry we are currently experimenting with is where write a line and speak one by one.
For the first run most of the kids who shared spoke of homework and school work. There were, however a few kids that spoke from the heart. These kids spoke of society and it’s cruel ways. It was clear most kids were stumped for ideas. But after some inspiration we gave it another go. This time we heard some more truthful voices. The only issue was their heads were buried in their books.  So to add some power to these little voices we practiced turning it into a physical experience by having them do simple actions. I went with my best friend, memorized my line, and became a cave for her to hide in. This represented how we hide our true identity to “fit in”. I was louder once I had no script. Some other kids spoke louder too.

By the end of the activity we were stronger as poets and performers. The kids at the shy end of the class spoke with meaning. I enjoyed this activity and hope we do it again. It was a nice experience for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment